LGBT Refugees Came Together in Four Different Cities
Wednesday, May 16, 2012
LGBT refugees came together in four different cities against homophobia and transphobia
Within the context of the 7th International meeting against Homophobia, LGBT refugees and asylum seekers held meetings in the satellite cities of Eskişehir, Isparta, Kayseri, and Nevşehir in the months of April and May. The meetings were held in cooperation with KAOS-GL, the Iranian Queer Organization (IRQO), and the Heartland Alliance (USA); and counted with the participation of about 50 LGBT refugees.
Eskişehir: April 23th, 2012
LGBT and asylum seekers came together on April 23th, 2012 in the city of Eskişehir. The meeting was held at the Civil Society Development Center’s offic, and for about two hours the attendees discussed their problems and possible solutions to tackle them. Following the meeting, participants had dinner together along the river and expressed their appreciation for the event.
Nevşehir: April 25th, 2012
LGBT and asylum seekers met at the Altınöz Hotel in Nevşehir on April 25th, 2012, to discuss their problems and suggest specific solutions to them.
After the meeting, participants shared a meal and engaged into further discussion. They expressed being grateful to KAOS-GL for organizing the event, which they enjoyed very much.
Kayseri: April 29th, 2012
At about 10am on April 29th, 2012, 30 LGBT refugees and asylum seekers came together in the city of Kayseri to discuss their problems and propose specific solutions to them.
Following the meeting the participants had a picnic at the foothill of Erciyes Mountain, which was accompanied by Persian songs. Regardless of the rainy weather, the conversation was lively and participants expressed their enjoyment about the meeting.
Isparta: May 3rd, 2012
LGBT refugees and asylum seekers met at the picnic area of Gököay in the city of Isparta on May 3rd, 2012. The attendees shared their problems and proposed specific solutions to them over lunch.
Refugees who participated in the meeting stated that they could not go out as often in Isparta that had a wonderful day overall. Some of them also said that this was their first time in Gökçay and were thankful about the meeting.
Our goal was for LGBT refugees and asylum seekers to share the discrimination and violence they face while in Turkey, as well as the challenges in access to equal medical services. In the meetings we discussed not only problems but also possible solutions with the participants.
- Inbetween the ancient religious practices, long Socialist politics and today: Mongolian LGBTs29 Ağustos 2012
- 2nd edition of Prague Pride held successfully29 Ağustos 2012
- Interview with Anodis Organization in Mexico03 Ağustos 2012
- Lesbian group in Mexico speaks to Kaos GL03 Ağustos 2012
- Italian footballer gets fined after anti-gay slur23 Temmuz 2012
- Pro-LGBT Obama video speech for Legalize Love campaign23 Temmuz 2012
- Gay marriage gone wrong19 Temmuz 2012
- 2nd International Intersex Forum announced18 Temmuz 2012
- Iraqi LGBTs can seek asylum in the Netherlands17 Temmuz 2012
- Petition launched to address Turkish honor killings16 Temmuz 2012