24-Year-Old Trans Woman Stabbed to Death in Turkey
Wednesday, July 10, 2013
By: Ömer Akpınar
A 24-year-old trans woman was stabbed to death at her home last evening in the touristic province of Kuşadası in Turkey. Found dead by her housemate, trans woman named Dora has been the last victim of transphobic violence in the country.
Dora’s body was sent for an autopsy and an investigation has been started to find murderer. However, Ministry of Family and Social Policies has not made a declaration yet.
Protests condemning transphobia and hate crimes will be held in İstanbul, Ankara, İzmir and Eskişehir on Friday at 6 pm.
Kaos GL and Pink Life LGBTT Associations in Ankara declared a statement against government’s reluctance to tackle transphobic violence at large and criticized the fact that murderers of trans people are either not found or judged with minimum punishments due to the concept of “unjust provocation” in the Turkish legal system.
Buse Kılıçkaya, a trans activist from Pink Life LGBTT Association, stated that everyone should develop a sensitivity towards trans murders. Kılıçkaya also pointed at a parallel between Gezi Park protests and trans struggle, saying that “the resistance is no different.”
Another hate murder of a trans woman, Nükhet Kızılkaya, took place last year in Kuşadası, a popular holiday resort in Western Turkey.
In social media, LGBT activists criticize mainstream media’s insistence on publishing trans people’s identity names, not the ones they actually use.
- #IDAHOT in Turkish capital: For freedom and love!17 Mayıs 2015
- Room for a new thought: Queering bathrooms against trans erasure17 Mayıs 2015
- We should resist victim derogation for collective responsibility17 Mayıs 2015
- Lesbian story contest: Changing lives through writing encouraged me to write more16 Mayıs 2015
- Lesbian players face pressure from their coaches about social media16 Mayıs 2015
- Safety itself may well be a threat16 Mayıs 2015
- Advisor to the Sisli Mayor to work with LGBTI organizations in the USA14 Mayıs 2015
- Obstruction to the Boston Gay Mens Chorus in the name of public morals!11 Mayıs 2015
- Knife attack against trans woman in Ankara04 Mayıs 2015
- Unions can only benefit from LGBT work30 Nisan 2015