24-Year-Old Trans Woman Stabbed to Death in Turkey
Wednesday, July 10, 2013
By: Ömer Akpınar
A 24-year-old trans woman was stabbed to death at her home last evening in the touristic province of Kuşadası in Turkey. Found dead by her housemate, trans woman named Dora has been the last victim of transphobic violence in the country.
Dora’s body was sent for an autopsy and an investigation has been started to find murderer. However, Ministry of Family and Social Policies has not made a declaration yet.
Protests condemning transphobia and hate crimes will be held in İstanbul, Ankara, İzmir and Eskişehir on Friday at 6 pm.
Kaos GL and Pink Life LGBTT Associations in Ankara declared a statement against government’s reluctance to tackle transphobic violence at large and criticized the fact that murderers of trans people are either not found or judged with minimum punishments due to the concept of “unjust provocation” in the Turkish legal system.
Buse Kılıçkaya, a trans activist from Pink Life LGBTT Association, stated that everyone should develop a sensitivity towards trans murders. Kılıçkaya also pointed at a parallel between Gezi Park protests and trans struggle, saying that “the resistance is no different.”
Another hate murder of a trans woman, Nükhet Kızılkaya, took place last year in Kuşadası, a popular holiday resort in Western Turkey.
In social media, LGBT activists criticize mainstream media’s insistence on publishing trans people’s identity names, not the ones they actually use.
- Same-sex couple threatened to death after engagement in Azerbaijan25 Eylül 2014
- Trans woman prevented from entering The Turkish Parliament22 Eylül 2014
- Detention extended for men accused of debauchery in Egypt11 Eylül 2014
- Witch hunt against gays in Cairo after gay wedding video08 Eylül 2014
- baQlawa releases its 3rd newsletter26 Ağustos 2014
- Digital attack on Azerbaijans Nefes LGBT Alliance: We will kill you all25 Ağustos 2014
- Turkeys pro-government LGBTIs take the stage for the first time05 Ağustos 2014
- Turkey to elect new President: Will LGBTI rights make it to the Presidential palace?15 Temmuz 2014
- Gay imam of MARHABA: Stop excluding people in the name of God!02 Temmuz 2014
- Istanbul Pride: Hand in hand against hate30 Haziran 2014