24-Year-Old Trans Woman Stabbed to Death in Turkey
Wednesday, July 10, 2013
By: Ömer Akpınar
A 24-year-old trans woman was stabbed to death at her home last evening in the touristic province of Kuşadası in Turkey. Found dead by her housemate, trans woman named Dora has been the last victim of transphobic violence in the country.
Dora’s body was sent for an autopsy and an investigation has been started to find murderer. However, Ministry of Family and Social Policies has not made a declaration yet.
Protests condemning transphobia and hate crimes will be held in İstanbul, Ankara, İzmir and Eskişehir on Friday at 6 pm.
Kaos GL and Pink Life LGBTT Associations in Ankara declared a statement against government’s reluctance to tackle transphobic violence at large and criticized the fact that murderers of trans people are either not found or judged with minimum punishments due to the concept of “unjust provocation” in the Turkish legal system.
Buse Kılıçkaya, a trans activist from Pink Life LGBTT Association, stated that everyone should develop a sensitivity towards trans murders. Kılıçkaya also pointed at a parallel between Gezi Park protests and trans struggle, saying that “the resistance is no different.”
Another hate murder of a trans woman, Nükhet Kızılkaya, took place last year in Kuşadası, a popular holiday resort in Western Turkey.
In social media, LGBT activists criticize mainstream media’s insistence on publishing trans people’s identity names, not the ones they actually use.
- Turkish main opposition leader on same-sex marriage: Nobody can interfere with everybodys life17 Nisan 2015
- Boston Gay Mens Chorus to perform in Istanbul10 Nisan 2015
- Azerbaijan: Website for LGBTs and their families launched09 Nisan 2015
- Malta: I am allowed to determine what identity fits me best03 Nisan 2015
- Lesbian basketball player: Fenerbahce made me lie02 Nisan 2015
- Grindr ban in Turkey taken to Constitutional Court27 Mart 2015
- Islamist daily targets students in headscarves supporting LGBTI rights25 Mart 2015
- ECtHR: Trans people should have full enjoyment of the right to physical and moral integrity20 Mart 2015
- Peace must also be made with the LGBTIs in the resolution process04 Mart 2015
- LGBTI activist becomes municipal assembly member in Istanbul03 Mart 2015