24-Year-Old Trans Woman Stabbed to Death in Turkey
Wednesday, July 10, 2013
By: Ömer Akpınar
A 24-year-old trans woman was stabbed to death at her home last evening in the touristic province of Kuşadası in Turkey. Found dead by her housemate, trans woman named Dora has been the last victim of transphobic violence in the country.
Dora’s body was sent for an autopsy and an investigation has been started to find murderer. However, Ministry of Family and Social Policies has not made a declaration yet.
Protests condemning transphobia and hate crimes will be held in İstanbul, Ankara, İzmir and Eskişehir on Friday at 6 pm.
Kaos GL and Pink Life LGBTT Associations in Ankara declared a statement against government’s reluctance to tackle transphobic violence at large and criticized the fact that murderers of trans people are either not found or judged with minimum punishments due to the concept of “unjust provocation” in the Turkish legal system.
Buse Kılıçkaya, a trans activist from Pink Life LGBTT Association, stated that everyone should develop a sensitivity towards trans murders. Kılıçkaya also pointed at a parallel between Gezi Park protests and trans struggle, saying that “the resistance is no different.”
Another hate murder of a trans woman, Nükhet Kızılkaya, took place last year in Kuşadası, a popular holiday resort in Western Turkey.
In social media, LGBT activists criticize mainstream media’s insistence on publishing trans people’s identity names, not the ones they actually use.
- Turkey to elect new President: Will LGBTI rights make it to the Presidential palace?15 Temmuz 2014
- Gay imam of MARHABA: Stop excluding people in the name of God!02 Temmuz 2014
- Istanbul Pride: Hand in hand against hate30 Haziran 2014
- Pecuniary Fine for Queer Tweet against the Turkish PM23 Mayıs 2014
- Listening to Black Femme Lesbian with Jack Halberstam22 Mayıs 2014
- LGBTI struggle should not be ignorant of other kinds of discrimination13 Mayıs 2014
- When security takes on a new meaning03 Nisan 2014
- Shopping Mall Executive Director: Trans Women Are Welcome, Too21 Şubat 2014
- Trans Women Not Allowed in Shopping Mall in the Turkish Capital21 Şubat 2014
- Homophobic Violence Goes Unreported Due to the Lack of Trust in Authorities14 Şubat 2014