Grindr Censored in Turkey!
Wednesday, September 11, 2013
By: Kaos GL
Dating app Grindr used by gay, bisexual and curious men has been censored in Turkey. The app cannot be accessed since yesterday evening. İstanbul Anatolia 14th Criminal Court of Peace blocked off Grindr as a “protection measure.”
Kaos GL Association's Lawyer Hayriye Kara said it is very likely that the decision might be related to "general morality", an ambiguous term used often against trans sex workers. The website of the application is blocked by Telecommunications Communication Presidency, welcoming the visitor with the following message:
“The decision no 2013/406 dated 26/08/2013, which is given about this website (grindr.com) within the context of protection measure, of “İstanbul Anadolu 14. Sulh CM” (İstanbul Anatolia 14th Criminal Court of Peace) has been implemented by “Telekomünikasyon İletişim Başkanlığı” (Telecommunications Communication Presidency).
- TV show fined for damaging Turkish family structure!19 Aralık 2014
- Cultural traditions must not be an excuse for discrimination17 Aralık 2014
- Union activists to meet in Ankara: LGBT rights are not a private problem!09 Aralık 2014
- The New Domestic Security Bill and its potential implications for LGBTI individuals09 Aralık 2014
- Union activists to meet in Ankara for Kaos GL symposium08 Aralık 2014
- LGBT rights records of Turkey presented to the EU03 Aralık 2014
- LGBTIs should be included in the Anti-Discrimination Legislation!03 Aralık 2014
- Lawyers met in London for strategic litigation02 Aralık 2014
- UPR Submission: Human Rights Violations of LGBT Individuals in Turkey01 Aralık 2014
- Womens and LGBTI organizations: It is not creation, but Constitution!28 Kasım 2014