Grindr Censored in Turkey!
Wednesday, September 11, 2013
By: Kaos GL
Dating app Grindr used by gay, bisexual and curious men has been censored in Turkey. The app cannot be accessed since yesterday evening. İstanbul Anatolia 14th Criminal Court of Peace blocked off Grindr as a “protection measure.”
Kaos GL Association's Lawyer Hayriye Kara said it is very likely that the decision might be related to "general morality", an ambiguous term used often against trans sex workers. The website of the application is blocked by Telecommunications Communication Presidency, welcoming the visitor with the following message:
“The decision no 2013/406 dated 26/08/2013, which is given about this website (grindr.com) within the context of protection measure, of “İstanbul Anadolu 14. Sulh CM” (İstanbul Anatolia 14th Criminal Court of Peace) has been implemented by “Telekomünikasyon İletişim Başkanlığı” (Telecommunications Communication Presidency).
- LGBTI Peace Initiative established in Turkey28 Ağustos 2015
- The sentence of serial killer upheld: Aggravated life imprisonment18 Ağustos 2015
- ILGA meets Ezgi Koçak from Kaos GL06 Ağustos 2015
- Borders drawn to limit unions03 Ağustos 2015
- Unions battle and LGBTI movement03 Ağustos 2015
- Reflections on the European Social Charter30 Temmuz 2015
- Legal basis of discrimination and gay public officers30 Temmuz 2015
- Looking at discrimination from a social politics POV29 Temmuz 2015
- Why are women outside the labor market?29 Temmuz 2015
- Rape and police violence carried to Parliament23 Temmuz 2015