Grindr Censored in Turkey!
Wednesday, September 11, 2013
By: Kaos GL
Dating app Grindr used by gay, bisexual and curious men has been censored in Turkey. The app cannot be accessed since yesterday evening. İstanbul Anatolia 14th Criminal Court of Peace blocked off Grindr as a “protection measure.”
Kaos GL Association's Lawyer Hayriye Kara said it is very likely that the decision might be related to "general morality", an ambiguous term used often against trans sex workers. The website of the application is blocked by Telecommunications Communication Presidency, welcoming the visitor with the following message:
“The decision no 2013/406 dated 26/08/2013, which is given about this website (grindr.com) within the context of protection measure, of “İstanbul Anadolu 14. Sulh CM” (İstanbul Anatolia 14th Criminal Court of Peace) has been implemented by “Telekomünikasyon İletişim Başkanlığı” (Telecommunications Communication Presidency).
- Municipalities in Istanbul stood up against transphobia21 Kasım 2014
- Remembering trans people in the Turkish Parliament: Trans and gay murders are political!20 Kasım 2014
- Hungarian LGBTI activist ended his life10 Kasım 2014
- What did Kaos GL do in last 6 months?06 Kasım 2014
- 20 November TransRemembrance Day events in 9 cities04 Kasım 2014
- End to the undeclared war against LGBTIs in Kyrgyzstan too!31 Ekim 2014
- Gay.com blocked in Turkey30 Ekim 2014
- Sixth attack to Skopje LGBTI Center in two years28 Ekim 2014
- Karin Karakasli: The LGBTI Movement has the potential to bring freedom for everyone17 Ekim 2014
- New publication by the Counselling Centre for Transgender People Association08 Ekim 2014