Grindr Censored in Turkey!
Wednesday, September 11, 2013
By: Kaos GL
Dating app Grindr used by gay, bisexual and curious men has been censored in Turkey. The app cannot be accessed since yesterday evening. İstanbul Anatolia 14th Criminal Court of Peace blocked off Grindr as a “protection measure.”
Kaos GL Association's Lawyer Hayriye Kara said it is very likely that the decision might be related to "general morality", an ambiguous term used often against trans sex workers. The website of the application is blocked by Telecommunications Communication Presidency, welcoming the visitor with the following message:
“The decision no 2013/406 dated 26/08/2013, which is given about this website (grindr.com) within the context of protection measure, of “İstanbul Anadolu 14. Sulh CM” (İstanbul Anatolia 14th Criminal Court of Peace) has been implemented by “Telekomünikasyon İletişim Başkanlığı” (Telecommunications Communication Presidency).
- 40 MP candidates signed the LGBTI Rights Pledge27 Mayıs 2015
- High turnout at the Hate Crimes panel in Mersin27 Mayıs 2015
- Lets meet at the 10th International Anti-Homophobia Meeting!16 Mayıs 2015
- IDAHOT: LGBTIs face countless problems in Turkey15 Mayıs 2015
- Turkey: LGBTIs joined May Day demonstrations in 25 cities07 Mayıs 2015
- Safe space or social justice?04 Mayıs 2015
- Turkish Deputy Prime Minister claims lesbians not part of society!30 Nisan 2015
- Queer Bathroom Stories to be told in Ankara28 Nisan 2015
- Pro-Kurdish HDP pledges LGBTI equality21 Nisan 2015
- Turkish government fails to mention LGBTI rights in election manifesto20 Nisan 2015