Grindr Censored in Turkey!
Wednesday, September 11, 2013
By: Kaos GL
Dating app Grindr used by gay, bisexual and curious men has been censored in Turkey. The app cannot be accessed since yesterday evening. İstanbul Anatolia 14th Criminal Court of Peace blocked off Grindr as a “protection measure.”
Kaos GL Association's Lawyer Hayriye Kara said it is very likely that the decision might be related to "general morality", an ambiguous term used often against trans sex workers. The website of the application is blocked by Telecommunications Communication Presidency, welcoming the visitor with the following message:
“The decision no 2013/406 dated 26/08/2013, which is given about this website (grindr.com) within the context of protection measure, of “İstanbul Anadolu 14. Sulh CM” (İstanbul Anatolia 14th Criminal Court of Peace) has been implemented by “Telekomünikasyon İletişim Başkanlığı” (Telecommunications Communication Presidency).
- Regional Network Against Homophobia to Meet in Ankara10 Mart 2014
- The Regional Network Releases Its Second Newsletter10 Mart 2014
- Turkeys New Hate Crime Law Ignores LGBTI People04 Mart 2014
- The Advisory Committee of the Rainbow Coalition to Meet in Ankara28 Şubat 2014
- Various Feminisms to Meet in Ankara on March 14-1627 Şubat 2014
- Transphobic Hate Murder in Antep, Turkey24 Şubat 2014
- Turkish LGBTI High School Students: We Organize Solidarity, Not Hatred!18 Şubat 2014
- LBT Women, Too, Met in Ankara to Break the Chain17 Şubat 2014
- To Russia with Love: LGBTI Rights are Human Rights!16 Şubat 2014
- UNESCO for Freedom of Expression in This Years IDAHOT13 Şubat 2014