Grindr Censored in Turkey!
Wednesday, September 11, 2013
By: Kaos GL
Dating app Grindr used by gay, bisexual and curious men has been censored in Turkey. The app cannot be accessed since yesterday evening. İstanbul Anatolia 14th Criminal Court of Peace blocked off Grindr as a “protection measure.”
Kaos GL Association's Lawyer Hayriye Kara said it is very likely that the decision might be related to "general morality", an ambiguous term used often against trans sex workers. The website of the application is blocked by Telecommunications Communication Presidency, welcoming the visitor with the following message:
“The decision no 2013/406 dated 26/08/2013, which is given about this website (grindr.com) within the context of protection measure, of “İstanbul Anadolu 14. Sulh CM” (İstanbul Anatolia 14th Criminal Court of Peace) has been implemented by “Telekomünikasyon İletişim Başkanlığı” (Telecommunications Communication Presidency).
- Turkish court: How did trans person disturb you?14 Temmuz 2014
- Homophobic hate attack against activists in Turkey!12 Temmuz 2014
- I cannot even go to the funeral of the person I love03 Temmuz 2014
- On the suicide of a trans teen: The normal is the perpetrator!03 Temmuz 2014
- 17-year-old trans teen commits suicide in Turkey03 Temmuz 2014
- Gay Pride in Istanbul: Why it matters26 Haziran 2014
- Malatya Pride: We are neither alone, nor wrong!23 Haziran 2014
- Turkish Psychological Association launches LGBTI unit20 Haziran 2014
- Human rights violations of LGBT individuals in Turkey submitted to the UN17 Haziran 2014
- Fine for transphobic assault against the reporter of IMC TV16 Haziran 2014