Grindr Censored in Turkey!
Wednesday, September 11, 2013
By: Kaos GL
Dating app Grindr used by gay, bisexual and curious men has been censored in Turkey. The app cannot be accessed since yesterday evening. İstanbul Anatolia 14th Criminal Court of Peace blocked off Grindr as a “protection measure.”
Kaos GL Association's Lawyer Hayriye Kara said it is very likely that the decision might be related to "general morality", an ambiguous term used often against trans sex workers. The website of the application is blocked by Telecommunications Communication Presidency, welcoming the visitor with the following message:
“The decision no 2013/406 dated 26/08/2013, which is given about this website (grindr.com) within the context of protection measure, of “İstanbul Anadolu 14. Sulh CM” (İstanbul Anatolia 14th Criminal Court of Peace) has been implemented by “Telekomünikasyon İletişim Başkanlığı” (Telecommunications Communication Presidency).
- Demonstration in Istanbul for Hande Kader: We want to die of natural causes22 Ağustos 2016
- UN Women and UNFPA condemn hate murders in Turkey21 Ağustos 2016
- Trans woman burned and murdered in Istanbul16 Ağustos 2016
- We dispersed on every street for the 14th Istanbul LGBTI+ Pride March!27 Haziran 2016
- Istanbul LGBTI+ Pride Committee: We will not be able to hold the 14th Pride March24 Haziran 2016
- Human Rights Observation Report of Trans Pride March23 Haziran 2016
- Reactions to the Orlando Attack in Germany, Austria and Switzerland21 Haziran 2016
- Second by second updates from Trans Pride March20 Haziran 2016
- Press statement of the deterred Trans Pride March19 Haziran 2016
- Istanbul LGBTI+ Pride Week Commission Press Declaration17 Haziran 2016