Grindr Censored in Turkey!
Wednesday, September 11, 2013
By: Kaos GL
Dating app Grindr used by gay, bisexual and curious men has been censored in Turkey. The app cannot be accessed since yesterday evening. İstanbul Anatolia 14th Criminal Court of Peace blocked off Grindr as a “protection measure.”
Kaos GL Association's Lawyer Hayriye Kara said it is very likely that the decision might be related to "general morality", an ambiguous term used often against trans sex workers. The website of the application is blocked by Telecommunications Communication Presidency, welcoming the visitor with the following message:
“The decision no 2013/406 dated 26/08/2013, which is given about this website (grindr.com) within the context of protection measure, of “İstanbul Anadolu 14. Sulh CM” (İstanbul Anatolia 14th Criminal Court of Peace) has been implemented by “Telekomünikasyon İletişim Başkanlığı” (Telecommunications Communication Presidency).
- Karin Karakasli: The LGBTI Movement has the potential to bring freedom for everyone17 Ekim 2014
- New publication by the Counselling Centre for Transgender People Association08 Ekim 2014
- Turkey after Gezi: An Interview with Simten Cosar30 Eylül 2014
- Kaos GL Magazine calls for articles on Family30 Eylül 2014
- Teachers against homophobia and transphobia met in Balikesir29 Eylül 2014
- Homophobia skyrockets with the Lady Gaga Concert in İstanbul23 Eylül 2014
- Protest march in Belgrade after a violent attack15 Eylül 2014
- Kaos GL announced its international events!12 Eylül 2014
- Kaos GL: Lets celebrate our 20 years together!11 Eylül 2014
- Istanbul to welcome bears from all around the world08 Eylül 2014