Grindr Censored in Turkey!
Wednesday, September 11, 2013
By: Kaos GL
Dating app Grindr used by gay, bisexual and curious men has been censored in Turkey. The app cannot be accessed since yesterday evening. İstanbul Anatolia 14th Criminal Court of Peace blocked off Grindr as a “protection measure.”
Kaos GL Association's Lawyer Hayriye Kara said it is very likely that the decision might be related to "general morality", an ambiguous term used often against trans sex workers. The website of the application is blocked by Telecommunications Communication Presidency, welcoming the visitor with the following message:
“The decision no 2013/406 dated 26/08/2013, which is given about this website (grindr.com) within the context of protection measure, of “İstanbul Anadolu 14. Sulh CM” (İstanbul Anatolia 14th Criminal Court of Peace) has been implemented by “Telekomünikasyon İletişim Başkanlığı” (Telecommunications Communication Presidency).
- Queer intervention in Croatian swim race26 Ağustos 2014
- Trans activist ended her life in Turkey24 Ağustos 2014
- Lots of guns but no trans!19 Ağustos 2014
- The reality of gay Armenians and our collective shame18 Ağustos 2014
- Turkish PM Erdogan insulted Armenians!06 Ağustos 2014
- Turkeys Presidential candidate: The existence of LGBTI is perceived as a crime05 Ağustos 2014
- The first pride parade in Dersim: Hate Crime Law should protect LGBTI people, too!04 Ağustos 2014
- LGBTI comment from Turkish presidential candidate: Society has sensitivities!30 Temmuz 2014
- First ever pride parade to be held in Dersim: We wont be the silent majority29 Temmuz 2014
- Turkish court: How did trans person disturb you?14 Temmuz 2014