Transphobic Hate Murder in Antep, Turkey
Monday, February 24, 2014
By: Kaos GL
Trans woman Sevda Basar was murdered by her boyfriend Ethem Orhan in the southeastern city of Antep on Wednesday.
After the killer confessed his crime both to his family and to the military police, the military police found Sevda Basar’s dead body on Friday. Orhan had shot his girlfriend in the chest with a hunting rifle and buried her in the vineyard he worked at.
There was no respect for Sevda’s gender identity even after her death
Basar received her pink identity card given to female citizens in Turkey approximately one and a half months ago. Her body was washed in a male ghusl (a place of body-washing of the deceased), disregarding her gender identity. In addition, Basar’s family did not accept trans people to the funeral and made the statement that, “our son has died in a car accident.”
Ethem Orhan deceived 29 year old Basar with promises of marriage. He took her gold belongings and fled to Serbia. It was later found out that Orhan was already married.
ZeugMadi LGBT, Antep’s LGBT initiative, made a press statement on Saturday at the Yesilsu Park in regard to the transphobic hate murder.
Translation: LGBTI News Turkey
- 1915 statement by Pink Armenia and Kaos GL17 Nisan 2015
- The candidates are selected, now it’s time for selecting the course of politics!14 Nisan 2015
- 10th Anti-Homophobia Meeting to take place in Ankara on May 16-1713 Nisan 2015
- “LGBTI panel is not a black stain on universities!”09 Nisan 2015
- Gay and trans candidates to run for Turkish general elections08 Nisan 2015
- Turkey’s main opposition proposed a pro-LGBT social inclusion bill07 Nisan 2015
- Ban on LGBTI rights panel: Sexuality constitutes a danger against university01 Nisan 2015
- Ahmet Yildiz: Unending case of a murdered gay man26 Mart 2015
- Kaos GL Magazine calls for articles on “publishing”24 Mart 2015
- Lesbian desire: Let’s increase that “shame”19 Mart 2015