Transphobic Hate Murder in Antep, Turkey
Monday, February 24, 2014
By: Kaos GL
Trans woman Sevda Basar was murdered by her boyfriend Ethem Orhan in the southeastern city of Antep on Wednesday.
After the killer confessed his crime both to his family and to the military police, the military police found Sevda Basar’s dead body on Friday. Orhan had shot his girlfriend in the chest with a hunting rifle and buried her in the vineyard he worked at.
There was no respect for Sevda’s gender identity even after her death
Basar received her pink identity card given to female citizens in Turkey approximately one and a half months ago. Her body was washed in a male ghusl (a place of body-washing of the deceased), disregarding her gender identity. In addition, Basar’s family did not accept trans people to the funeral and made the statement that, “our son has died in a car accident.”
Ethem Orhan deceived 29 year old Basar with promises of marriage. He took her gold belongings and fled to Serbia. It was later found out that Orhan was already married.
ZeugMadi LGBT, Antep’s LGBT initiative, made a press statement on Saturday at the Yesilsu Park in regard to the transphobic hate murder.
Translation: LGBTI News Turkey
- Kaos GLs next issue: Game and Sports9 Ocak 2017
- Kaos GL: Lynch attempt against Barbaros Şansal is a hate crime!3 Ocak 2017
- Refugee transgender woman was killed in Istanbul22 Aralık 2016
- 5th Symposium against Discrimination to take place in Ankara1 Aralık 2016
- LGBT SOS Help Line from Serbia23 Kasım 2016
- ECHR: Kaos GLs freedom of expression had been violated22 Kasım 2016
- Lawyers Levent Pişkin and Cahit Kırkazak released17 Kasım 2016
- Two LGBTI activists elected to Peoples Democratic Congress General Assembly15 Kasım 2016
- LGBTI activist and lawyer Levent Pişkin is detained14 Kasım 2016
- HDP co-chairs Selahattin Demirtaş and Figen Yüksekdağ are arrested4 Kasım 2016