Transphobic Hate Murder in Antep, Turkey
Monday, February 24, 2014
By: Kaos GL
Trans woman Sevda Basar was murdered by her boyfriend Ethem Orhan in the southeastern city of Antep on Wednesday.
After the killer confessed his crime both to his family and to the military police, the military police found Sevda Basar’s dead body on Friday. Orhan had shot his girlfriend in the chest with a hunting rifle and buried her in the vineyard he worked at.
There was no respect for Sevda’s gender identity even after her death
Basar received her pink identity card given to female citizens in Turkey approximately one and a half months ago. Her body was washed in a male ghusl (a place of body-washing of the deceased), disregarding her gender identity. In addition, Basar’s family did not accept trans people to the funeral and made the statement that, “our son has died in a car accident.”
Ethem Orhan deceived 29 year old Basar with promises of marriage. He took her gold belongings and fled to Serbia. It was later found out that Orhan was already married.
ZeugMadi LGBT, Antep’s LGBT initiative, made a press statement on Saturday at the Yesilsu Park in regard to the transphobic hate murder.
Translation: LGBTI News Turkey
- Queer intervention in Croatian swim race26 Ağustos 2014
- Trans activist ended her life in Turkey24 Ağustos 2014
- Lots of guns but no trans!19 Ağustos 2014
- The reality of gay Armenians and our collective shame18 Ağustos 2014
- Turkish PM Erdogan insulted Armenians!06 Ağustos 2014
- Turkeys Presidential candidate: The existence of LGBTI is perceived as a crime05 Ağustos 2014
- The first pride parade in Dersim: Hate Crime Law should protect LGBTI people, too!04 Ağustos 2014
- LGBTI comment from Turkish presidential candidate: Society has sensitivities!30 Temmuz 2014
- First ever pride parade to be held in Dersim: We wont be the silent majority29 Temmuz 2014
- Turkish court: How did trans person disturb you?14 Temmuz 2014