Transphobic Hate Murder in Antep, Turkey
Monday, February 24, 2014
By: Kaos GL
Trans woman Sevda Basar was murdered by her boyfriend Ethem Orhan in the southeastern city of Antep on Wednesday.
After the killer confessed his crime both to his family and to the military police, the military police found Sevda Basar’s dead body on Friday. Orhan had shot his girlfriend in the chest with a hunting rifle and buried her in the vineyard he worked at.
There was no respect for Sevda’s gender identity even after her death
Basar received her pink identity card given to female citizens in Turkey approximately one and a half months ago. Her body was washed in a male ghusl (a place of body-washing of the deceased), disregarding her gender identity. In addition, Basar’s family did not accept trans people to the funeral and made the statement that, “our son has died in a car accident.”
Ethem Orhan deceived 29 year old Basar with promises of marriage. He took her gold belongings and fled to Serbia. It was later found out that Orhan was already married.
ZeugMadi LGBT, Antep’s LGBT initiative, made a press statement on Saturday at the Yesilsu Park in regard to the transphobic hate murder.
Translation: LGBTI News Turkey
- Human Rights Committee that discriminates LGBTIs is now official!27 Nisan 2016
- Turkish intelligence document: ISIS targets Kaos GL12 Nisan 2016
- Minister of Justice Bozdağ: We never add sexual orientation to the legislation08 Nisan 2016
- Human Rights Committee draft that discriminate LGBTIs has become law08 Nisan 2016
- Kaos GL visited 11 cities in March06 Nisan 2016
- Open letter to homophobic university from a gay student05 Nisan 2016
- Commission on the Status of Women completed its 60th session04 Nisan 2016
- Turkish municipality giving LGBTI seminars at schools04 Nisan 2016
- It is not wise to exclude LGBTIs from the draft against discrimination02 Nisan 2016
- Are the claims that LGBTI prison is being built true?02 Nisan 2016