Transphobic Hate Murder in Antep, Turkey
Monday, February 24, 2014
By: Kaos GL
Trans woman Sevda Basar was murdered by her boyfriend Ethem Orhan in the southeastern city of Antep on Wednesday.
After the killer confessed his crime both to his family and to the military police, the military police found Sevda Basar’s dead body on Friday. Orhan had shot his girlfriend in the chest with a hunting rifle and buried her in the vineyard he worked at.
There was no respect for Sevda’s gender identity even after her death
Basar received her pink identity card given to female citizens in Turkey approximately one and a half months ago. Her body was washed in a male ghusl (a place of body-washing of the deceased), disregarding her gender identity. In addition, Basar’s family did not accept trans people to the funeral and made the statement that, “our son has died in a car accident.”
Ethem Orhan deceived 29 year old Basar with promises of marriage. He took her gold belongings and fled to Serbia. It was later found out that Orhan was already married.
ZeugMadi LGBT, Antep’s LGBT initiative, made a press statement on Saturday at the Yesilsu Park in regard to the transphobic hate murder.
Translation: LGBTI News Turkey
- Separate Prison for the LGBTI: Collective Isolation18 Nisan 2014
- Law of Misdemeanor Workshop Held In Mersin and Adana16 Nisan 2014
- Trans Inmate on Hunger Strike: I Do Not Want To Die!10 Nisan 2014
- Kaos GL Association to Raise Awareness and Advocacy09 Nisan 2014
- No LGBTI Candidates Elected in Turkish Local Elections07 Nisan 2014
- Law of Misdemeanor Workshop Held in Ankara04 Nisan 2014
- Kaos GL to Attend the US Workshop Feminism and Authoritarianism in the Middle East01 Nisan 2014
- Trans people must be able to benefit from their right to vote25 Mart 2014
- Reasoned Verdict in the Court Case of Rosin Cicek: Killing Someone Because of Their Sexual Orientation is Unacceptable24 Mart 2014
- Prison Sentences for the Cyber Attacks on kaosGL.org!24 Mart 2014