Transphobic Hate Murder in Antep, Turkey
Monday, February 24, 2014
By: Kaos GL
Trans woman Sevda Basar was murdered by her boyfriend Ethem Orhan in the southeastern city of Antep on Wednesday.
After the killer confessed his crime both to his family and to the military police, the military police found Sevda Basar’s dead body on Friday. Orhan had shot his girlfriend in the chest with a hunting rifle and buried her in the vineyard he worked at.
There was no respect for Sevda’s gender identity even after her death
Basar received her pink identity card given to female citizens in Turkey approximately one and a half months ago. Her body was washed in a male ghusl (a place of body-washing of the deceased), disregarding her gender identity. In addition, Basar’s family did not accept trans people to the funeral and made the statement that, “our son has died in a car accident.”
Ethem Orhan deceived 29 year old Basar with promises of marriage. He took her gold belongings and fled to Serbia. It was later found out that Orhan was already married.
ZeugMadi LGBT, Antep’s LGBT initiative, made a press statement on Saturday at the Yesilsu Park in regard to the transphobic hate murder.
Translation: LGBTI News Turkey
- Demonstration in Istanbul for Hande Kader: We want to die of natural causes22 Ağustos 2016
- UN Women and UNFPA condemn hate murders in Turkey21 Ağustos 2016
- Trans woman burned and murdered in Istanbul16 Ağustos 2016
- We dispersed on every street for the 14th Istanbul LGBTI+ Pride March!27 Haziran 2016
- Istanbul LGBTI+ Pride Committee: We will not be able to hold the 14th Pride March24 Haziran 2016
- Human Rights Observation Report of Trans Pride March23 Haziran 2016
- Reactions to the Orlando Attack in Germany, Austria and Switzerland21 Haziran 2016
- Second by second updates from Trans Pride March20 Haziran 2016
- Press statement of the deterred Trans Pride March19 Haziran 2016
- Istanbul LGBTI+ Pride Week Commission Press Declaration17 Haziran 2016