The Boston Gay Mens Chorus takes stage at Bogazici University
Friday, June 12, 2015
By: Ömer Akpınar
The Boston Gay Men’s Chorus has completed seeking place for their concert taking place one day before the Pride Parade on June 27th. As a result of the pressure from homophobic media against the concert, Zorlu Performance Art Center closed its doors, instead of it, Boğaziçi University will host the Chorus within the scope of Bogazici University LGBTI Studies Club’s event.
The concert of one of the leading gay bands in the U.S.A in Istanbul will take place on South Campus of Bogazici University on June, 27.
Public concert from the Gay Men’s Chorus
The Boston Gay Men’s Chorus’s Istanbul concert will be open to all and for free. The Boston Gay Men’s Chorus will perform on June, 27 Saturday at 6.30 p.m. The sound system will be operated for people who can’t find a seat in which 1.500 people will participate.
As part of the Chorus Middle East Tour to first Israel, then Turkey, it will be hosted by the efforts of Bogazici University LGBTI Studies Club.
“Freedom will always prevail against pressure from censoring minds”
After Vahdet Newspaper, a well-known producer of hate speech against the LGBTI community had targeted the Chorus, Zorlu Holding and Kaos GL Association in its excerpt titled “Perversion Runs Free,” Bogazici University LGBTI Studies Club has made a press statement saying that their school’s doors are always open to the chorus:
“We wish a future in which everybody can enjoy their sexual orientation and gender identity freely. Freedom will always prevail against pressure from hateful, discriminating and censoring minds.”
As the final note, Biletix, running for the selling of concert tickets, with the certainty of the cancellation has started to return ticket prices.
Translated by Simge Şirin
- Mabel Matiz: Sound of Gezi in Turkish Pop30 Ocak 2017
- Turkeys rainbow family documentary to be screened in Baku4 Şubat 2016
- Turkish Consitutional Court to review Gender Reassignment Law1 Şubat 2016
- The Boston Gay Mens Chorus takes stage at Bogazici University12 Haziran 2015
- Turkish elections: 80 MPs from the pro-gay HDP will be in the Parliament9 Haziran 2015
- Turkeys 10 percent election threshold might hamper gay rights4 Haziran 2015
- #IDAHOT in Turkish capital: For freedom and love!17 Mayıs 2015
- Room for a new thought: Queering bathrooms against trans erasure17 Mayıs 2015
- We should resist victim derogation for collective responsibility17 Mayıs 2015
- Lesbian story contest: Changing lives through writing encouraged me to write more16 Mayıs 2015