HDP co-chairs Selahattin Demirtaş and Figen Yüksekdağ are arrested
HDP co-chairs Selahattin Demirtaş and Figen Yüksekdağ had been detained last night in a police raid to their houses.
Last night the purge of President Erdogan against HDP has reached another peak: Co-Chairs Selahattin Demirtas and Figen Yüksekdag, along with 12 further Members of Parliament of HDP have been detained across Turkey last night. The goal of these measures is to shut down the third largest party in parliament.
Demirtaş: I won't be a puppet in this trumped-up judicial theater
After giving his statement in the prosecutor's office, HDP co-chair Selahattin Demirtaş is referred to the court with arrest request. Demirtaş refused to answer the questions that were addressed to him in the prosecutor's office.
Here is Demirtaş's statement:
“I don't want to answer the questions about the alleged charges against me. I just want to make a statement.”
“We are the elected representatives of people. We don't represent ourselves, but the electorate. Currently, I am a member of the parliament and have immunity. I am here as a member of the parliament. I would never let anyone disrespect the identity I represent and the will of my people. And I would never abstain from giving account to impartial judicial bodies.”
“I will never accept to be a subject of the judges and prosecutors who wait hand and foot while the dignity of the judicial system is trampled. I don't mean to disrespect you personally. However, I won't be a puppet in this trumped-up judicial theater, which is started by the order of Erdoğan who has a really shady and questionable personal background. I won't answer your questions. I don't think that any legal procedure that will be carried out by you could be just and lawful. Even my detention is done illegally.”
“In the political scene, politicians are addressed by the politicians, not by the judiciary. Thus, you, as prosecutors and judges who are supposed to stick to international and democratic maxims of law and to international conventions that are signed by Turkey and have the power of constitutional law, should refuse to be a part of political games and schemes. I don't demand or expect anything from you. Only the people who elected me can question me about my political activities.”
- Kaos GLs next issue: Game and Sports9 Ocak 2017
- Kaos GL: Lynch attempt against Barbaros Şansal is a hate crime!3 Ocak 2017
- Refugee transgender woman was killed in Istanbul22 Aralık 2016
- 5th Symposium against Discrimination to take place in Ankara1 Aralık 2016
- LGBT SOS Help Line from Serbia23 Kasım 2016
- ECHR: Kaos GLs freedom of expression had been violated22 Kasım 2016
- Lawyers Levent Pişkin and Cahit Kırkazak released17 Kasım 2016
- Two LGBTI activists elected to Peoples Democratic Congress General Assembly15 Kasım 2016
- LGBTI activist and lawyer Levent Pişkin is detained14 Kasım 2016
- HDP co-chairs Selahattin Demirtaş and Figen Yüksekdağ are arrested4 Kasım 2016